Top 5 Deadliest Hurricanes of All Time
The Gulf Coast has been lucky this year, as no major hurricane has approached our shores. History has not been as kind. Here, we list the top 5 deadliest hurricanes of all time (via Wunderground):
1. Galveston Hurricane of 1900- The hurricane of Galveston was a Category 4 direct hit, causing more than 8,000 estimated casualties. It was the deadliest hurricane to hit the United States in history.
2. 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane (FL)- This hurricane was the second to reach Category 5 status. Deaths totalled over 2,500.
3. Hurricane Katrina (2005)- Hurricane Katrina is the costliest hurricane to date in the US. Over 1,800 deaths were attributed to the storm and subsequent floods.
4. Cheniere Caminada (Louisianal, 1893) - 779 of the island's 1,500 residents died in this storm. It also severely damaged the state's orange and rice crops.
5. 1893 Sea Islands Hurricane- This storm hit Savannah, GA with a 16 ft storm surge. It is estimated that 1,000-1,500 residents died.
While present day modeling and meterology makes the impact of hurricanes less impactful, the frequency of storms has certainly not slowed down over the years. Always remember to have an evacuation plan in place.