CravensCARES Kicks off at Houston Food Bank
By: Ashley Western, ACSR, MSM RMI, Commercial Business Development Manager
On April 19, CravensCARES Chairperson Betty Copaus spent the day at the Houston Food Bank. Betty spent the day on an assembly line, helping to sort & divide food for families in need. Betty worked in a team of 30 people, and was able to make many new friends & learn all about the Food Bank in our community.
Houston Food Bank's mission is leading the fight against hunger. Here’s how!
The Houston Food Bank...
• A private, nonprofit organization
• Seeks food donations, distributes to local
• Efficient operations: 95 cents of every dollar
donated feeds the hungry
• Certified member of Feeding America
• Founded 1982
It’s in the numbers...
• 65 million pounds distributed last year
• 137,000 different people fed each week
• 865,000 different people fed each year
• nearly 500 hunger relief agencies in 18 southeast Texas
o Church food pantries
o Homeless shelters
o Safe havens for the battered and abused
o Nutrition sites for children and the elderly
• More than 259,000 volunteer hours contributed annually
• 73,000 square feet of warehouse and office space at
central location, in addition to 66,000 square feet offsite