For customers who need claim information related to damage from Hurricane Harvey
CLICK HERE for Commercial and Personal Claims Contact Info.


Cravens Warren

Serving the risk management and commercial insurance needs of business. Cravens Warren, founded in 1946, has been serving the insurance needs of... read more

Contact Info
  • 10011 West Gulf Bank
    Houston, TX 77040
  • Phone (713) 690-6000
    Fax (713) 690-6020
  • contact us
Client Account & Resources
Your Bill
My Documents
Risk Portal
Join Our List
Client Area

Collision Damage Waivers When Renting a Vehicle: Should you buy it?

Sep 2, 2011

In the rental agreement that you sign, you agree to be responsible for all the damage to the vehicle while it is in your care. This not only includes accidents-even when the other driver is at fault-but also includes all other damage, including theft, hail damage, storm damage, broken windshields, etc. So, what's a vehicle renter to do to cover this exposure?

Sources of Coverage

There are four resources that can cover most or all of the obligations you incur as a renter when you bring the vehicle back damaged:

1. Purchase the collision damage waiver (CDW) from the rental agency. (CDW is a misnomer since the coverage applies to more than just collisions. A better title would be vehicle damage waiver.) This article addresses why this choice is not a good idea in most cases.