For customers who need claim information related to damage from Hurricane Harvey
CLICK HERE for Commercial and Personal Claims Contact Info.


Cravens Warren

Serving the risk management and commercial insurance needs of business. Cravens Warren, founded in 1946, has been serving the insurance needs of... read more

Contact Info
  • 10011 West Gulf Bank
    Houston, TX 77040
  • Phone (713) 690-6000
    Fax (713) 690-6020
  • contact us
Client Account & Resources
Your Bill
My Documents
Risk Portal
Join Our List
Client Area
Commercial Insurance

How Do I Get A Bonded Title?

The process of obtaining a Bonded Title is fairly straightforward. As explained, below, the state Titles & Registration Division (VTR) requires that a vehicle surety bond be purchased to validate the bonded title. Cravens Warren helps many of our commercial and personal insurance clients obtain bonded title insurance coverage. The three basic steps involved in obtaining a bonded title are listed below with some helpful links.

Step 1: Am I eligible for a bonded title?

In order to qualify, you must be a Texas resident or military personnel stationed in Texas; or have a vehicle that was last titled in Texas. The vehicle must be in your possession and cannot be considered abandoned, junked, stolen, or in any other pending lawsuits. Although not required to be operational, it must be a complete vehicle including a frame, body and motor or frame and motor if a motorcycle. To determine your eligibility for the bonded title procedure and the value of the bond, take or mail the following documents to your Vehicle Titles and Registration (VTR) Division Regional Office:

If your documents are approved, the amount of the bond equal to 1½ times the value of the vehicle will be determined by the Regional Office using a national reference guide. If you disagree with the amount you may furnish an appraisal by a licensed motor vehicle dealer or insurance appraiser. Once the value of the vehicle is determined the VTR Regional Office will give you a letter within 24 hours showing the amount the bond needs to be purchased in.

Step 2: Purchase a surety bond

Take the letter and other documents given to you by the VTR Regional Office to an auto insurance agency or any agency that sells vehicle Surety Bonds. You have one year from the date of the letter to purchase a Surety Bond in the amount shown on the letter, otherwise a new letter and bond would be required.

Step 3: Apply for a bonded title

Within 30 days from purchasing the surety bond, take the original letter given to you by the Regional Office and the documents listed above, to your county tax office, in addition to:

If the vehicle is from out of state, you will also need to provide a Vehicle Identification Certificate (Form VI-30), completed by a Safety Inspection Station. If the vehicle is from out of country, you will need a Customs Document (HS 7). If the vehicle is a truck or commercial vehicle you may also need a weight certificate.